What has a kite-like body, a massive crest on its head, and a streamlined beak?
It’s the Pteranodon!
Even though this “winged monster” once lived way back in the Late Cretaceous period, it is not a dinosaur. The Pteranodon (pronounced ter-AN-o-DON) is scientifically known as a pterosaur, a type of flying reptile.
Let’s discover more about this astounding beast.
Did you know?
- The Pteranodon had a wingspan between 25 and 33 feet!
- It used its spear-like beak and head to dive into the water and scoop up fish.
- This creature once lived in what is now known as North America
- It stood about 6 feet tall and weighed around 50 pounds!
- It is not known if the Pteranodon flew under its own power or used tall cliffs to soar off of.
- Its name means “winged and toothless.”
The Pteranodon is one cool creature!