What has a big red nose, colorful hair, a white face and floppy shoes? A clown!
Even though the clown has been around since ancient times, they still have one job to do; entertain us all.
In celebration of International Clown Day, we’ve enlisted the help of some talented kids. Plus, we have also dug up some cool facts on this funny-faced “fella.”
Let’s start “clowning around.”
Clown Dinosaurs By Ivy – Age 7
Did you know?
- If you are extremely afraid of clowns, you suffer from Coulrophobia.
- The first known clowns entertained the Emperors of China and the Pharaohs of Egypt.
- Egyptian clowns were known as “Pygmies.”
A Poem by Timothy- Age 10
There once was a clown who was very down. He had no smile, just a big frown.
He then read a book, and that’s all it took,
He turned that frown upside down!
What was his hook? A joke book!
Did you know?
- It wasn’t until 1768 that clowns became a popular addition to circuses.
- In the early 1970’s, Patch Adams (a doctor) started the practice of “clowning” in the hospital. This helped brighten the moods of his patients.
- Clowns have their own set of rules called, “The Clown Code of Ethics.”
A Drawing By Bree – Age 6
- Ronald McDonald
- Krusty the Clown (Simpsons)
- Bozo the Clown
- The Joker (Batman)
- Pennywise the Dancing Clown (It)
A BIG round of “Clown Applause” to our talented kid contributors. WooHoo! You’re all awesome!
What do you think about clowns? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section.
Happy International Clown Day!