Are you craving a chocolate treat that still has healthy ingredients? Then whip up a batch of Fiddle Diddles. These no-bake drop cookies are simple and delicious!
What You Need
- 1/3 cup of butter or margarine
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 3 tbsp of cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups of Quick Oats (not instant)
- 1 cup of medium coconut
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- Large saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wax paper
- Mixing spoon
- Hot pad
Step #1 – Measure out all the ingredients
Step #2 – Put the butter (or margarine), sugar and milk into the saucepan.
Step #3 – Heat on medium, stirring often.
Step #4 – Bring the mixture to a boil. Heat until the sugar is no longer grainy (completely dissolved).
Step #5 – Remove the saucepan and place on the hot pad.
Step #6 – Add in the remaining ingredients.
Step #7 – Stir well.
Step #8 – Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the waxed paper.
Step #9 – Cool completely.
Enjoy your yummy treat!
If you don’t have a nut allergy, you can substitute 1/2 cup of coconut for !/2 cup of walnuts, 1/2 cup of chopped peanuts or even 1/2 cup of raisins.
Fun With Food Facts – Coconut
Did you know?
- There are more than 20 billion coconuts produced each year.
- Coconuts grow on coconut palm trees. These trees can be found throughout the tropics and subtropics.
- Where did the coconut get its name? In the 16th century, Portuguese sailors thought the three small holes on the coconut shell resembled a human face. Because of this they dubbed the fruit “coco” meaning “grinning face, grin, or grimace” The word “nut” was later added in English.
- The coconut palm tree can grow up to 98 feet tall. The tree’s fronds also get really big, measuring in at around 20 feet long!
- The coconut is technically a “drupe” not a nut. Other drupes include peaches, cherries, and plums.
- Coconuts can float long distances on the ocean. This is how it is dispersed to other lands.
Try our Fiddle Diddle recipe and let us know how they turned out. And be sure to join us next week for another Fun With Food Recipe and fascinating facts!
Categories: Fun With Food