Which dinosaur is a new species and was one of the largest to ever roam the earth?
It’s the Dreadnoughtus (pronounced dred-NOHR-tus).
Because this dinosaur was so gigantic, it was decided to name it after a massive battleship called the Dreadnought.
Let’s discover more fascinating facts about the Dreadnoughtus.
Did you know?
- This dinosaur lived in the Cretaceous Period – 77 million years ago
- It ate plants, so it was a herbivore.
- The Dreadnoughtus grew up to 60 tons. That’s more than seven elephants!
- It had three large claws on its back feet.
- Despite its large size, the skull of the Dreadnoughtus was very light, so it could lift its head quite easily.
- Scientists believe the Dreadnoughtus may have used its long tail as a club.
- This dino measured 85 feet from nose to tail.
- Its neck alone measured about 37 feet in length.
- From the bottom of its feet to the top of its shoulder measured 20 feet – that’s two stories tall!
What do you think of the mighty Dreadnoughtus? Let us know in the comments section.
Be sure to join us again next week when we will discover more fun facts about a fascinating dinosaur.