It’s that time of year again when we put up our Christmas trees. But what do we really know about this longtime tradition?
Check out these fascinating facts about the Christmas Tree.
Did you know?
- People began decorating trees over 2,000 years ago. They were seen as a symbol of life because they stayed green.
- The tradition started in Germany in the 16th century when devout Christians brought decorated trees into their homes. Some built Christmas pyramids of wood and decorated them with evergreens and candles if wood was scarce.
- The first artificial Christmas trees were developed in Germany during the 19th century. These “trees” were made using goose feathers that were dyed green.
- Christmas trees are grown in all 50 states including Hawaii and Alaska.
- The first electric Christmas lights came out in 1890. Before these, people used lit candles.
- In Poland and the Ukraine, traditional tree decorations look like spiders and spider webs.
- Early Christmas trees were decorated with yummy treats such as cakes, cookies, and pretzels. Sometimes, small gifts were also placed within the branches.
- During the 17th and 18th centuries, it was common for people to hang their Christmas trees upside down from the ceiling.
- The tallest Christmas tree ever measured 221 feet tall (67.36m). It was decorated and stood in Seattle, Washington in 1950.
Do you have a special tradition your family does with your Christmas Tree? Tell us in the comments section.