Today is ‘National Learn About Butterflies Day.’
Check out these cool butterfly facts. Then get your craft supplies together to create a coffee filter butterfly you can use to celebrate the day.
Let’s get started!
Did you know?
- There are more than 20,000 types of butterflies worldwide.
- Their wing spans can range from 1/2 inch to 11 inches (1.3 to 28cm).
- Depending on the species, adult butterflies can live from a week to nearly a year.
- Many butterflies migrate over long distances. The Monarch butterfly travels from Mexico to the northern USA and southern Canada. This distance is about 2,500 to 3,000 miles (4,023 to 4,828 km).
Butterflies need our help to survive. They rely on flowers and other natural sources for survival, so we can help them by planting more flowers.
DIY Coffee Filter Butterfly Craft
Now that we’ve learned about this amazing creature, let’s create our very own butterfly.
What You Need
- 2 coffee filters
- Water color paints, markers, pencil crayons, or crayons
- Paint brush
- 1 Chenille Stem (pipe cleaner)
Step #1 – Paint or color the coffee filters. Get really creative as these will be your butterfly’s wings!
Step #2 – If you used paint, allow the filters to completely dry before moving on to step three.
Tip: Be sure to place a piece of paper beneath the filters before painting or using markers. This keeps the paint from soaking through to the surface below.
Step #3 – Pinch the coffee filters in the middle – these create the wings.
Step #4 – Bend the chenille stem in half.
Step #5 – Insert the two ‘pinched filters in the crook of the chenille stem. Give it a twist to secure the filters in place.
Step #6 – Create the antenna by looping the ends of the chenille stem around the marker.
Tah Dah! You’ve created a butterfly!
Happy Learn About Butterflies Day!
Now that you’ve created a beautiful butterfly, take a picture and send it to us. You could be featured on Show Us Your Stuff Saturday!