Cats come in many colors and patterns, so why are the black ones considered so “spooky?”
Mythology tells us that black cats were once thought to serve witches. And everyone was super afraid of witches!
Some people even believed the black cat was a witch in disguise. That’s how this feline became associated with Halloween.
These are just a few of the eerie beliefs about the black cat.
With Halloween right around the corner, let’s explore more myths about the “spooky” black cat!
Did you know?
- To dream about a black cat is considered to be lucky. But it’s unlucky if a black cat walks past you.
- In the 16th century in Italy, people believed if you were sick and a black cat laid on your bed, it meant you were going to die. YIKES!
- If a black cat appears at a funeral, it means another family member is going to pass.
- Finding a white hair on a black cat is considered a sign of good fortune.
- A strange black cat on your porch is said to bring prosperity.
- If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good luck. If it walks away from you, it takes the luck away.
- If a black cat crosses your path while you’re driving, turn your hat around backward and mark an “X” on your windshield to prevent bad luck.
Because there are still people who believe these myths, many animal shelters will not adopt out black cats near Halloween.
Show our black felines some love by not believing in myths and superstitions. These cats are just as lovable and deserving of a great home as any other cat!
What do you think of black cats? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section.