Today is International Polar Bear Day. Listen or read about what we can do to help celebrate this awesome animal.
- Learn about the polar bear. Did you know this mammal rivals the Alaska Brown Bear for the world’s largest land predator? A large male polar bear may weigh up to 1,500 pounds and grow to nearly 10 feet tall, when standing on his hind legs, of course! Check out our link to learn more about our Frosty Friend the Polar Bear.
- Stink for a Day! If you don’t like to take a bath, then you can Stink for the Arctic for one day. If 5,000 people were to skip their shower today, that would save 26,110 lbs of carbon dioxide emissions, which doesn’t just help polar bears, but all living creatures on the planet.
- Take Action by getting your parents to sign the petition to stop Arctic Drilling which crushes the dens of mother polar bears and their cubs.
- Turn down the heat: Bundle up for the polar bears – Our friends at Polar Bears International are asking people to turn the thermostat down in honor of polar bears. Not only will it give you a taste of the colder conditions these animals live in- it will also reduce your impact on climate change, a huge threat to these animals.
- Lastly, print out the “cool” pdf we have put together to have some more fun with the polar bear.
Happy International Polar Bear Day to all our Smarty Pants Readers and Visitors!
Do you want to learn how to draw a Polar Bear? Click here.