Nigersaurus lived 145 to 66 million years ago in the Cretaceous Period. It had a long neck, a long tail, and an odd shovel-like snout and mouth.
What else is “dynamic” about this dino?
Check it out!
Did You Know?
- Nigersaurus measured about 30 feet (9.1 meters) long. It weighed around 5 tons!
- It once inhabited the woodlands of northern Africa.
- Researchers believe this dino probably ate by sweeping its long neck back-and-forth, sucking up plants and other vegetation.
- Its skull was very light because it contain thin bones. In fact, some were almost translucent (see-through).
- Nigersaurus didn’t have a very good sense of smell.
The Nigersaurus had a weird mouth. Inside there were around 500 teeth divided up into 50 vertical columns – like two bony hair combs!
Although, that’s a lot of chompers, every two weeks they were replaced with new ones.
I guess you could say its teeth were like a conveyor belt!
Another oddity about its mouth were this animal’s teeth were arranged in broad, horizontal rows anchored onto its jaws. This kept all of the teeth at the very front of its snout.
What do you think of the Nigersaurus? Tell us in the comments section!
Leave a Reply