Let’s Have Some Fun!
In celebration of this spooktacular occasion, we’ve collected some scary facts that are sure to mystify you.
Check these out!
Did You Know?
- Halloween’s origins come from a Celtic festival for the dead called “Samhain.” Celts believed the ghosts of the dead roamed Earth on this holiday. People would dress in costumes and leave “treats” out on their front doors to appease the roaming spirits.
- Many many decades ago, in the European practice of trick-or-treating, called “mumming,” or “guysing,” costume-wearing participants would go door-to-door performing choreographed dances, songs and plays in exchange for treats.
- In some early versions of trick-or-treating, men paraded door-to-door, and boys often followed, begging for coins. Most of these early trick-or-treaters were poor and actually needed the money,
- According to ancient Roman records, before the Celtic tradition, tribes located in today’s Germany and France traditionally wore costumes of animal heads and skins to connect to spirits of the dead.
- Jack-o-lanterns were once made out of turnips, beets, and potatoes – not pumpkins.
- Superheroes, pirates, and princesses remain some of the top Halloween costumes today.
Now that you know some bootastic facts about Halloween, get ready to have tons of treat-or-treating fun!
Be a Smarty Pants and tell all your friends and family about the super-cool things you learned here today.