You either love it or think it’s yucky, but either way, what would Halloween be without candy corn?
In celebration of this “corny” treat, today is National Candy Corn Day. So let’s celebrate with an “ear” full of candy corn facts.
Check it out!
Did you know?
- Candy corn has been around since its invention in the 1880s.
- The Goelitz Confectionery Company, (now called Jelly Belly Candy), started making candy corn at the turn of the century.
- When Goelitz first produced candy corn, it was called “Chicken Feed.” The boxes were illustrated with a rooster logo and read “something worth crowing for.”
- The price of candy corn went from 25 cents a pound (in the 1950s) to $8.99 a pound today.
- According to the National Confectioners Association, about 9 billion kernels of candy corn – more than 35 million pounds – are sold each year!
- Jelly Belly makes 28,000 pounds of the sweet treat every 8 hours.
What do you think of candy corn? Are you a “liker” or “yucker” of this sweet kernel? Let us know in the comments section!