We may think of muffins as a sweet treat. But our Fun With Food recipe this week is a savory surprise.
Check out how to make, Tater Tot Cups. These are so delicious, you’ll want to gobble them up!
Recipe courtesy of Kids Cooking Activities.
What You Need
- 1 pound sausage or ground beef or turkey
- 3 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 lbs bag frozen diced potatoes (if using fresh potatoes, dice and boil in a pan of water until tender)
- Muffin tins
Step #1 – Preheat oven to 180° C/350°F.
Step #2 – Brush 2 -12-cup muffin pans lightly with vegetable oil.
Step #3 – Brown meat in pan and drain off fat.
Step #4 – Mix together meat, milk, cheese, and eggs.
Step #5 – Add potatoes and combine until well mixed.
Step #6 – Place spoonfuls of mix into each muffin tin, filling to the top.
Step #7 – Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Be sure to get some help around the hot oven!
Makes 24 muffins.
Serve ketchup, mustard, mayo, or your favorite dipping sauce on the side. For a more savory Tater Tot Cup, add chopped onions, chives, garlic, spices or a different type of shredded cheese.
This recipe could also be easily cut in half if desired.
Fun With Food Facts Feature – Potatoes
Did You Know…
- The word potato comes from the Spanish word ‘patata?’
- Bumblebees are important to the potato? These “fuzzy” insects pollinate the plants.
- There are thousands of different potato varieties? However, not all of them are available for consumption.
- China is the leading producer of potatoes?
- French fries contain a lot of fat? Enjoy in moderation.
- Potatoes are sometimes called “spuds.”
- The lack of potatoes killed a million people? One of the main causes of the Great Famine in Ireland (1845 and 1852) was a potato disease known as potato blight. The shortage of potatoes led to the death of around 1 million people who were dependent on them as a food source.
If you enjoyed this recipe, let us know in the comments section. We’d love to hear from you!
Categories: Fun With Food
Leave a Reply